Sunday, November 23, 2014

Movie Influences

Summary:
For my expansion essay I am looking into movie influences and came across a study about the influence of smoking in movies. In the article Does Smoking in Movies Promote Teenage Smoking  Todd F. Heatherton and James D. Sargent conducted a study that focused on the adolescent age group along with children. Researchers surveyed children between the ages of 10-14 on their exposure to smoking in movies and were later questioned on whether smoking is considered a positive or negative experience. Many associated it with positive attitudes and predicted smoking within 1 to 2 years. The researchers concluded smoking in movies influence kids from the ages 10-14 to start smoking.

Response:
I chose this article because I can use it in my essay expansion for how teen movies effect the viewers since kids are influenced to smoke they would be influenced by themes in teen movies such as the classification of people at schools or selling themselves short because they may not be popular enough to talk to someone of higher popularity. I find it amazing how peer pressure and influencing works, the intention of influencing doesn't even need to be present in order to persuade.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea that you're expanding on! I too feel that movies influences teens into rebelling especially because movies make everything so much more realistic visually. With someone just viewing content it can immediately bring ideas into their head that they do not realize sometimes. It is also crazy think that 10-14 year olds start smoking! I remember just sitting at home watching my favorite Disney Channel shows when I was 10 years old, not smoking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas for your expansion essay. It sounds like you have your paper laid out nicely. I think it is very important for kids to know how bad it is to smoke. When it is all around they think its ok. For example one of my friends little cousin told me that he could smoke when he is grown up. He said it was not bad for him that he was just not old enough. So maybe that can be another option you can look into. Some kids do not even know how bad smoking is they just think they are not of age yet. Children learn things from people around them and what they are watching in movies so I think it is a great idea that you are relating the two. Good luck with your paper I am sure it is going to come out great.

    ReplyDelete